[TYPO3-dev] New relational concept for personal data

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 25 15:44:38 CET 2010

Hi,

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Peter Russ schrieb:
>> Absender:   JoH asenau
>>> An adress will never contain any name or salutation, since this will
>>> belong to the person.
>> Example:
>> 1st Address is for business use -> Salutation: Dear Mr. Dau,
>
> Why would the salutation be part of the address? An address is a physical location.

It might not be a real *part* of the address, but it can surely depend
on the address which salutation to use.

In general it's not so common anymore for people to have a single item
of any property anymore. People have multiple land line and mobile phone
numbers, multiple email addresses, multiple IM names. Children from
divorsed parents may have multiple addresses where they live, etc.

If you want to set up a general system for storing people as "objects"
it might be necessary to make relations to other complex properties
(addresses, etc.) and store a type in the relation. This does not solve
the problem with properties (e.g. salutation) depending on which type of
  location you currently use.

I share Dmitry's concern about complex queries for a part. Databases are
  pretty good in executing complex queries as long as the database
structure is well optimized (especially indexes which can be used in a
particular query to speed up the execution). It also depends a lot on
the number of records in a table.
TYPO3 is unfortunately not known for optimal use of indexes or database
features...

Regards, Jigal.