[TYPO3-dev] future of FORM

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Aug 24 19:05:40 CEST 2010

Christian Opitz - Netzelf schrieb am 24.08.2010 16:26:

> i'm confused about which extension to use for form generation and
> handling. A while ago i was beginning to write an extension to
> formhandler that should serve as GUI to create and manage forms and
> fields [1][2]. But because the project was dependent of a job that took
> a while to start i did not work on it for a while.
>
> Now i'm working on it again and i'm thinking about changing it's
> behaviour from an ext for formhandler to a form manager that can export
> to several formats like tca, zend form (already working), FORM, HTML,
> formhandler configuration etc. BUT: I read about the FORM-project and
> that for it a wizard is planned. When thats true my extension would be
> more or less obsolete because i would center it arround this wizard and
> not write an own.
>
> Now my questions are: Are the updates on the FORM-project [3][4]? Or is
> this project obsolete and a spread compromise is to use powermail or
> formhandler? Do you see any sense in writing an form management module
> at all?

I would say the FORM-project from Patrick is still the "way to go". He
has spend many hours of brainstorming about the issue already, and at
least the concept of the TypoScript part of the form handling sounds
very promising.

Unfortunately the project was not finished, and Pat went on working on
other stuff and is currently very busy with other projects. But I would
welcome if we find a team to get that project rolling again.

The end result should be an overworked FORM handling in TYPO3 core
(maybe for 4.6 or later, but maybe even for 4.5 if we find more
interested parties to work on it).

I'll get in touch with Patrick and direct him to this thread.

Cheers,
Ernesto