[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 heresy: what about "selling" pro extensions?

Stefano Cecere scecere at krur.com
Mon Apr 12 14:36:06 CEST 2010

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:38:20 +0200, Dmitry Dulepov
<dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Motivation is king. My motivation is something that I can get for my
> life. I am nearly 40 and I am interested in some stuff.

i share this point and most of Dmitry's thinkings:
i've become dad and going towards 40.. i have no more all the free time i
had 10 years ago!
i'm not big company.. (my company is.. just me and some external
collaborator..) so i can't afford really big clients nor investing lot of
time in "not sellable" features

what i don't understand is: since TYPO3 is an enterprise beast.. you use
it for professional / business projects.. (otherwise WordPress or Joomla
are better choices)
why should we "hope" that some volunteer core developer fix a bug? or Rupi
put next patch into tt_news? (yes i provided a patch to localize
categories.. it's in the BT since months...) or Dmitry develop next
upgrade for any of his precious exts?

where have gone for example Elmar Hinz (who was dedicating lot of energy a
few years ago into MVC), or Reuven Cohen, or Renè?
isn't it that when you "grow up" (and you don't own a big TYPO3 company)
you jump into some higher level project, leaving TYPO3 in the hands of few
new core dev and some "let's hope they'll finish it" summer google
student's projects?

NOTE: this discussion is because i really LOVE TYPO3, i spent lot of time
with it and would like to stay.. i have also some money to spend into it
since i use it quite daily
and i think that some kind of business ecosystem should be introduced of
all developers.. or even v5 will suffer soon or later

SOME EXAMPLES:
i hate the Magento model: since after several years they splitted the core
into an ugly expensive pro version, and a basic community version (TYPO3
core should stay free forever).. but if i use it for a client i can spend
400$ for a pro ext to extend it in a particular way.. my client would be
happier also to know it!

CS-Cart (it's a very nice cart): they keep developing it... if someone
really needs a new features fast, the developing company tell you how much
it would cost.. you pay for the feature.. later on that features gets
public into the core

WordPress: it has lot of plugins free with commercial advanced versions
(maybe just to remove the copyright label in the backend!)

MY PROPOSAL: Dmitry.. others: let's make some experiments!

hope to not have bored anyone...

stefano