[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 heresy: what about "selling" pro extensions?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 11:38:20 CEST 2010

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> That's because you're trying to make a living. Small tasks can be done by a single person just for
> fun. For bigger tasks you need a team of enthusiasts. While I need money (sad but true), it doesn't
> motivate me at all.

Not exactly living and not exactly money. Fun wears off pretty quickly. Years ago I was the same enthusiastic and doing everything, just like Steffen does now. Many others were the same. Where are they all now? Demotivated because their work does not give much in return.

Motivation is king. My motivation is something that I can get for my life. I am nearly 40 and I am interested in some stuff. I can code a great commercial ext, get the money and buy myself an iPad. That sounds like a good motivation for me. Or I can travel to France and visit beautiful places, drink a good wine near the lake. This is too a good motivation to develop something. My motivation for work comes from the stuff that I can get for my professional skills. It is a fair exchange: my great skills for the great life. Participating in the open source project is not a motivation at my age. It is a good motivation in 19-35 but not later. Later it becomes work that you want to exchange to something else. There are exclusions, of course (see Ben) but mostly open source is driven by young people. After they invest their young years to open source, they become older and prefer to make money of it. Here commercial extensions fit very well.

I am not sure if I could clearly explain it. But I hope some ideas are clear.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 security team member