[TYPO3-dev] EXT: categorization - proof of concept

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Oct 26 17:45:39 CET 2009

JoH asenau schrieb:
>> Some time ago there was a discussion about a categorization extension.
>> There are some available but they don't seem to work fully. So I
>> created my own. The great benefit of this extension is that it does
>> not require the original extensions to be changed.
>
> Well - actually there is one extension that already does exactly the same,
> just giving it another name.
> The tagpack has been introduced at T3CON08 in Berlin and is now close to
> being stable.
> In fact categorization is nothing else but tagging with a predefined set
> without the option to create new tags.
> This can be easily realized with the current version of the tagpack.
>
> Since there are plans for a global system of categories, tags and semantic
> relations, maybe we can join forces instead of reinventing different looking
> wheels ;-)
> http://forge.typo3.org/projects/show/extension-tagpack
>
> Hope to see you there

Adding one more to the already existing categorization effords. What
about Mad Brunns "categories":

The feature list read like that:

- Users can categorize records from any table in TYPO3 (pages, content,
news etc.).
- Administrators can select which tables editors should be able to
categorize.
- Supports hierarchially structured category schemes.
- Supports formal categorization (using a tree-like tce form field) or
tagging (using an text tceform field with autosuggest functionality).
- Browse and search for records in categories using a BE-module similar
to the Web>List module.
- Category mountpoints can be configured for backend groups and backend
users.

But also that efford seemed to have died, as Mad Brunns isn't (is he?)
active anymore.

See:
http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/show/extension-categories

So to me it seems that categorization in any form should be a core
extension, and should provide an API that everyone can count on. Won't
be there in 4.3 of course, but might be a nice (and simple, as we
already have so many existing approaches..) new feature for 4.4.

Cheers,
Ernesto