[TYPO3-dev] Extension rules

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Wed May 27 18:05:16 CEST 2009

Hi!

Philipp Gampe wrote:
> Sure they do, but I dont like the idea of having adds all over the place
> However I strongly support the paypal links as it is an easy and
> transparent! way to support the authors.

I had PayPal links on my pages for years. No help.

> I believe (and thats my opinion) that a project like Typo3 lives from
> volunteer work. Sure developers need to eat, but placing adds is not the
> best idea.
> Otherwise it will end up where Joomla is now. A lot of stuff, but mostly
> for advertising purpuse.

Well, I used to spend nearly 30% of all my time for 4 years working for free: making patches for the TYPO3 core, extensions, etc. It did not give me anything to live. So I finally cooled down on it. It is not interesting to give all the time. Sometimes it is good to have something back. When there is no return, there is no motivation to continue giving.

> I would like the core team (or association) to define some rules where
> adds can be placed. The manual is not the best place to have adds. A
> thanks and a link to the sponsor is just fine.

Do you really believe that developers, who work for free, can be influenced this way? They do not owe anything to anyone and there is no way to force them doing something. It is all 100% voluntary.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
In the TYPO3 blog: http://dmitry-dulepov.com/article/macintosh-vs-hackintosh.html