[TYPO3-dev] Trouble with Hide default translation of page

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Mon Mar 23 09:12:36 CET 2009

Hi folks,

on our university page we have the normal one tree concept, default language is German. But in quite a few branches of
the tree we need other languages as default, because those pages simply do not exist in German. I thought I could solve
this problem by creating a German dummy page and check the checkbox 'Hide default translation of page' in the page
properties of the german dummy.

1) The english page does not show up in my menu
2) When I call the page from BE (without L-Parameter), I get a TYPO3 error: Error! Reason: Page is not available in
default language.

This behaviour does not make any sense to me, because people coming with the default or some other language will never
be able to see the pages that are only available in spanish. They have to know beforehand that they have to switch to
spanish to be able to read that stuff.

So, is there a way to
a) show those pages in menus of the default language and other languages?
b) to tell which language is the default language for this page. I need a way how mortal nonadmin users can do this. I
am thinking of a field in pages that tells us about the prefered language to go to if the default is hidden.

We are on 4.3, using TV and cooluri.

Besides: That label 'Hide default translation of page' sounds odd. My suggestion would be 'Hide page in default language'.

Kind regards, Uschi