[TYPO3-dev] Are performance improvements part of maintaince releases?

Lars Houmark lars at typo3.org
Wed Jun 24 01:33:05 CEST 2009

Hi Rupert,

Thanks for bringing this up.

> Are performance improvements part of maintaince releases?

I will try to stay short on this and declare that I am generally
agreeing on most of your points.

I definitely think that performance issues can be considered bugs that
should be committed to patch-level releases. It seems that the core
team has a well functioning voting system for making sure RFC's is
tested by several other core team members (and others). So, in relation
to that, I think the point of potential introducing bugs from solving
performance issues, like the ones mentioned by you, is without base.

My main concern is the very long interval between main releases, and
because of the current policy TYPO3 will keep staying slow (in relation
to what it could have been with all the performance patches committed)
for years (4.2 was released April 23, 2008 = 14 months, 4.3 is months
away), and all the other CMS' will outperform easily.

TYPO3 is meant to be an enterprise CMS and that means any performance
that could be gained, should also be introduced as soon as possible,
meaning in any patch-level release.

I don't even want to think about the 3-4 years it will take before 5.0
will be fast enough for production use, if the current policy is kept,
thinking of the current speed :) And actually I am sure that the policy
will be neglected in order to improve 5.0 speed on patch-level
releases, so why not just come out of the closet now, and approve that
fact and change the policy accordingly, so that 4.2.7 can include some
of that speed that was recently found...

--
Lars Houmark
Member of the TYPO3 Security Team