[TYPO3-dev] Are performance improvements part of maintaince releases?

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Wed Jun 24 00:56:46 CEST 2009

Hi,

i mainly agree with your opinion.

Rupert Germann schrieb:
> the reasons for reverting 11358 and for preventing 11317 from being applied
> to the 4_2 branch are:
> (wildly citing from these 2 threads)
> - "performance tuning is not part of maintainance releases."

what a pity - performance is one of the main goals in developing. I
can't believe that user's don't want this.
There are also main reasons not to update a site to next top level
relase, eg money, time, extension updates etc, so the argument "They can
switch to new version" is no argument imho.

> - "There is no urgent need to improve the performance. It's just nice to
> have."

sounds like an anti-marketing-slogan

> - "the risk to break something is always higher than without a patch"

oh - any bugfix can have side effects and can break sites in some
situation. Just think of the session fixation which breaked nearly all
sites.

> - "...I think we had some problems earlier with similar kinds of caches,
> which produced unexpected results in some scenarios..."

see above, unexpected results in some scenarios lead to Bug reports and
Bugfixes, or not? This is normal flow

> OK, we have a release-workflow document but it doesn't say anything about
> performance improvements:
> http://typo3.org/teams/core/resources/release-workflow/

hope we find a common sense after discussion

> so argument 1 seems to be pointless. or I have overlooked something?

yes - everything not mentioned doesn't include it at all, so: define an
exclude list

> Dudes, are we core-devs or are we sissies?! ;-)

as a team in open source world we need rules. And we have the freedom to
change the rules if we find a common sense, so this is nothing negative.

> We know what we are doing.
> We are able to say that adding a few lines of code that prevent a function
> from bothering the database with 50 identical queries will NOT break
> anything. We only have to read and test the code.

you know that testing is always done, which is no guarantee for all
cases. But - do you know any software without Bugs?

> and while we are on it:
> let's also talk about other improvements in current (stable) versions. what
> about this:
>
> 2009-06-02  Steffen Kamper  <info at sk-typo3.de>
>         * reverted #9849 as this wasn't present in 4.2.0
>         * Fixed bug #9849: edit-wideDocument was removed, bring it back
> (from 4_2 branche changelog)
>
> dropping "edit-wideDocument" was a bug! no question !
> Will there be no chance to fix usability errors once the xx.0 version is
> out?

this is also a mistake imho. If we have done a mistake, we should be
able to correct it. The mistake happened in 4.2-dev, don't let declare
the "trunk" phase as free zone :)

> let the flamewar begin

done ;)

vg Steffen