[TYPO3-dev] Are performance improvements part of maintaince releases?

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Jun 24 02:47:15 CEST 2009

Hi Georg,

> Lets face reality:
>
> 1.) Following the meaningful principle of stable and relible software,
> each single release (patch/minor/major), will efectively introduce more
> / different code & features, which is great! However "more code &
> features" wont improove performance, but to the contrary. Anybody
> running TYPO3 since version 3.5 knows what I'm referring to;

That would mean that there is a noticable difference in performance
between TYPO3 4.2.5 and 4.2.6, etc. I doubt this is the case.

> 2.) Performance IS an Essential Function of the TYPO3-core!
> Please consider it as such!

As I said: It can be treated as a bug in some cases. So generally,
performance improvements or fixes are possible even in a maintenance branch.

On the other hand (I'm repeating myself again) it may be too complex to
be completely sure that it won't break anything, no matter if the change
is a distinct bug or if it is a performance improvement.

> 3.) Thus,
> - Performance-Problems of the core ARE: (guess what): Problems.
> - Problems are BUGs.
> - Problem-fixes, thus are Bugfixes;
> eg:
> - the reduction by +50 avoidably db-calls IS a BUG-Fix - no doubt.
> - a patch provided, which avoids "useless" db-calls and still guarantees
> the prooven functionality, is a bugfix.
>
> - This IS completely in-line with:
> http://typo3.org/teams/core/resources/release-workflow/
>     "The Core team is permanently fixing problems in the development
> branch of this version."
>
> - Let me re-state: "performance-bottlenecks ARE PROBLEMs",
> and thus they should be solved in each new release, and backported in
> case appropriate.

See above.

> 4.) @typo3-core-team:
> - Please consider the avoidable consumption of ressources as valid &
> patchable bugs, and thus
> - add "Performance" AS a Core-Function(al requirement) to
> http://typo3.org/teams/core/resources/release-workflow/ .

See above.

Regards, Michael
--