[TYPO3-dev] Are performance improvements part of maintaince releases?

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Wed Jun 24 09:34:13 CEST 2009

Hi,

> My main concern is the very long interval between main releases, and
> because of the current policy TYPO3 will keep staying slow (in relation
> to what it could have been with all the performance patches committed)
> for years (4.2 was released April 23, 2008 = 14 months, 4.3 is months
> away), and all the other CMS' will outperform easily.

I think this is the crucial point. At the core team meeting of T3DD08 we
decided to try and have shorter released cycle (9 months). This proved
unrealistic and 4.3 is looking as it will take just as much time as 4.2
(about 18 months) to be completed. This should not be taken as a
criticism: it is a fact. It means that we ("we" being the community in
general, and the core team in particular) are not able to deliver things
more quickly, most probably due to the fact that we are all volunteers
doing most of the work in our free time.

So it seems like we have to live with long release cycles. This implies
that we must take particular care of stables branches, because they are
around for a long time. If we have performance improvements, can we
really hold them back from a branch that is going to be used for at
least a few years yet?

I am reminded of those clinical trials for new drugs, where the stop the
trial early, because patients benefit so much of the new drug that it is
not ethically possible to withhold that drug from the control group. I
don't think we should hold back performance improvements.

I understand the worries about stability, but I think the possible
performance gains far outweigh the risks.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter