[TYPO3-dev] Extension Development

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Sat Jun 6 09:40:50 CEST 2009

Hi,

> We are currently planning to build an application to manage our computer
> equipments and software. For example, this application will have to
> manage equipment orders, peripheral installations (to know which
> peripheral is linked to which computer), software installations (to know
> which licence is installed on which computer and how much licences are
> available), users (to know who is and was using which computer), etc.

I guess you mean something like GLPI [1] which is quite great regarding
functionality but very badly coded.

> Does someone already developed this kind of application with TYPO3 (as
> an extension) and is TYPO3 the right solution to build this kind of
> application?

I don't know any extension that does this job and I guess a CMS would
not be the best choice for this except if you want to integrate the
feature into your website of course but as "independ" code I would not
use it.

However, I would have a serious look at FLOW3 [2] whose core team
released the very first alpha version a few days ago. This framework is
really really promising (and already is used in prototype website/web
applications). It will be the framework in use in TYPO3 v5, meaning that
the learning curve you climb now for your application may be reuse later
on when 5.0 is out.

[1] http://glpi-project.org/spip.php?article1
[2] http://flow3.typo3.org/

HTH