[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 Bug Day coming up this Friday, August 29th

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Mon Sep 1 18:47:55 CEST 2008

Hi!

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>>> i'm wondering about less action in core list after Bug day.
>>> I'm also wondering about no core member review of sent patches.
>>>
>>> In general there are such big amount of open patches in core list that
>>> need review, at least core members have to vote to get them in core.
>>> I'm tired about sending reminders, i myself have about >7 open patches
>>> in this list. Also i feel the importance of the reviews instead of
>>> flooding list with new patches (don't misunderstand, patches are alway
>>> good and welcome) but for patchers the low input of core members is
>>> kind of frustrating. There are some "all time active" members being
>>> active, but they can't review all open patches!
>> Hm, seems like you hit the same problem that core team hit long time
>> ago: people send patches and no one looks at them...

The fact that a lot of patches already got +1 from an external dev and
are still not reviewed by a core dev is indeed a bit frustrating. Benni
just told me he needs to finish a customer project and will then give
some time to the core list again.

It's generally good to see core devs working on new major features,
there are some things for 4.3 I am really looking forward to. Some of
the more simple things are done by externals today and this is good. The
bugday already guided some people on how to patch and send to the list.
Maybe there could be some core devs who are officially assigned to patch
reviewing and guiding new devs?

I try do do the following to take some load off from core devs:
- Test more patches faithfully than I send in.
- Update patches if they are not ok from my point of view (sometimes
just because of CGL), regardless of who sent them and how old long they
have been hanging around.
- Give tips on how to simple test / verify an issue.

I will probably start a new round of reviewing and testing older patches
the next days. I really hope this helps if at least someone verifies or
updates things to be compliant to current trunk.

> Hi Dmitry,
>
> yes, it seems so. And you are one of the exceptions as you are reviewing
> a lot of patches, many thx to you for that!

*sign* Your work is highly appreciated! Your input is always straight
forwards and points important problems out.

Regards
Christian