[TYPO3-dev] new EXT:categorize to categorize everything

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Mon Oct 27 11:38:54 CET 2008

Hi Georg,

>> and another categorization extension *sigh* :(. Why haven't you joined
>> forces with Mads Brunn and his "tx_categories" extension which has the
>> same aim as yours, and why haven't I read about your extension in the
>> ECT list?
>
> I just have searched for any exts of Mads in TER and the last update was
>  more than 1 year ago and there just 3 updates witin 2007, nothing 2008
> happend.
>
> I didn't even know that there was an extension because nothing is in TER
> and I didn't search forge too - yes my fault but I don't really care
> because what I wanted was just to create an extension I needed and will
> need in an further project and which I like (because of its idea and
> because it is something else than other extensions) and so I just
> started it.

I'm sorry for my brisk wording - I did not intend to offend you - I just
lost my temper a bit. Could have written that in a much more convenient
way though. But I was a bit pissed to surprisingly read about another
"THE CATEGORY EXTENSION" by a valued dev who could have make benefit
from the work already been done from Mads. Maybe I'm a bit to eager in
my fight for a cleaner TER with useful extensions.

> If you don't like the extension or the majority of people doesn't
> like it I will just not share the code anymore and will sell the
> extension to anyone who really needs it (and is willing to pay for it).
> I really got no problem with that and don't want to piss anyone off.

I never said that I don't want to have a good categorization extension.
In fact I'm glad that there finally might be one in core.

> It got even the advantage that I don't need a manual, don't need to promote
> my work, don't need to spend any of my free (only paid) time for it,
> don't get any stupid n00b-questions about it... And trust me I know that
> very well having 31 extensions in TER, at least 2 NEW waiting to be
> released, did the best rated extension in the TYPO3 history and has been
> voted and got most of the votes in the extension development group of
> the TYPO3 card game (just being proud of). I kind of know how it works

I never said that you where a lousy developer.

> You are talking about the galleries in the TER and yeah there are many
> of it and guess what.. I am the developer of 2: chgallery and
> rgsmoothgallery. You just can't do every gallery with one extension it
> just won't work!

But there could be ONE gallery core with all basic features for dealing
with gallery records, dam or no dam, read from path features, comments
ect. and then only addon-extensions providing different views. Would be
the best user/editor experience in my eyes though.

> I don't need an ECT to connect with other devs, I got an emailaddress
> and my websites are listed at google.

That might be true, but if I review my beginnings with TYPO3 where I had
some improvements for a extension and the author was not responding - I
did not know what to do - so I gave up - others might have uploaded it
as "extension extended plus" which nobody likes to see in TER.
Now you could go to ECT and tell them and they will take care of and
probably transfer the extKey to you if there is really no way to contact
the author.

> You can still inform me, you can still tell me everything and as I said
> before, IMO tx_categories is not in TER.

All I can say is, please, please have a look at the work Mads has
already done - he already invested a lot of hours in that and has a
quite good feature set although it's not finished yet. From what I can
see there's not much missing to finish it - but I only had a quick look.

> Don't think that I don't like the idea of ECT but maybe ECT should be
> happy having active developers who are connected to the community they
> could want to integrate into the team instead of giving big -1 to new
> projects.

don't get it wrong, the -1 was from me as person, not from ECT, and is
for the way the extension was "started" - not for the aim you are
following with it.
I'm no official ECT team member as far as I know - I only like the idea
behind as it's also my vision for a better TYPO3 experience.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch