[TYPO3-dev] new EXT:categorize to categorize everything

Georg Ringer news at ringerge.org
Mon Oct 27 08:55:59 CET 2008

Hi Franz,

thanks for your opinion. I will try to answer all things I read in this
branch at once - hope I don't miss anything.

Franz Koch wrote:
> and another categorization extension *sigh* :(. Why haven't you joined
> forces with Mads Brunn and his "tx_categories" extension which has the
> same aim as yours, and why haven't I read about your extension in the
> ECT list?

I just have searched for any exts of Mads in TER and the last update was
  more than 1 year ago and there just 3 updates witin 2007, nothing 2008
happend.

I didn't even know that there was an extension because nothing is in TER
and I didn't search forge too - yes my fault but I don't really care
because what I wanted was just to create an extension I needed and will
need in an further project and which I like (because of its idea and
because it is something else than other extensions) and so I just
started it.

I really got no time to discuss this with other people. Talking is
important but it won't change the fact that I need something and I will
do it. If you don't like the extension or the majority of people doesn't
like it I will just not share the code anymore and will sell the
extension to anyone who really needs it (and is willing to pay for it).
I really got no problem with that and don't want to piss anyone off. It
got even the advantage that I don't need a manual, don't need to promote
my work, don't need to spend any of my free (only paid) time for it,
don't get any stupid n00b-questions about it... And trust me I know that
very well having 31 extensions in TER, at least 2 NEW waiting to be
released, did the best rated extension in the TYPO3 history and has been
voted and got most of the votes in the extension development group of
the TYPO3 card game (just being proud of). I kind of know how it works

I really didn't plan to make a core extension but just an extension
which is useful. If people are willing to participate I am looking
forward to that - no matter who it is. As Dmitry wrote I haven't seen a
benefit for my work yet. I discussed my extension in the dev list in
this thread and got the feedback I needed/wanted.

You are talking about the galleries in the TER and yeah there are many
of it and guess what.. I am the developer of 2: chgallery and
rgsmoothgallery. You just can't do every gallery with one extension it
just won't work! rgsmoothgallery is a fancy gallery written in
javascript and chgallery is the best way to add many images to your page
  including comments. No need for records for categories or the images
and so on. If you want more, you need records and you will need an
extension like jm_gallery which leads to a more complicate extension
(which I really don't want).

 > There might not be much benefits for you, developing a extension under
 > the cover of ECT besides of inspirations and joined forces - but
 > benefits for the community and the Typo3 project, having a solid base
 > of maintained "state-of-the-art-extensions" you can work with.

ECT is really not the community! Even english mailing list is just a
small part of the community! The community is out there just using the
extensions and not caring about any team behind. They know names like
Dmitry as core dev, Rupi as developer of tt_news and people like me with
the rg*-extensions and some more (hope it doesn't sound to egoistic).

I don't need an ECT to connect with other devs, I got an emailaddress
and my websites are listed at google.

 > If Georg f.e. would have announced his extension in the ECT group, we
 > would have informed him about the extension of Mads, could have
 > answered questions about the current status and the goal of that
 > extension and Georg might have been able to takeover the extension
and > finish it. So, one extension less in TER, but a existing one improved
 > and finished for the "greater good".

You can still inform me, you can still tell me everything and as I said
before, IMO tx_categories is not in TER.

Don't think that I don't like the idea of ECT but maybe ECT should be
happy having active developers who are connected to the community they
could want to integrate into the team instead of giving big -1 to new
projects.

Georg