[TYPO3-dev] new EXT:categorize to categorize everything

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 20:09:17 CET 2008

Hi!

Franz Koch wrote:
> how about "calendar base" - it's ECT driven, that's f.e. why I
> participate in it, add new features, fix some bugs and spend hours a
> week providing support in the cal newsgroup. Other projects like lib/div
> (which dev's seemed to ignore) are listed in the wiki [1]. Unfortunately
> it became quite silent in the ECT ng lately - but that's not the point.

I know cal but I thought it is a WEC product. I saw lib/div but I
did not like them. I remember that static_info_tables required div
for unknown reason and it was very irritating to install div for
static_info_tables, which was supposed only to provide static data :)

> The concept of the ECT is good and in my eyes a necessary part for the
> T3 project. It only lacks of support from the association and other T3
> teams - it's currently merely treated like a evil step mother by
> everyone and I seem to be the lonely cowboy getting tired by fighting
> for it over and over again.

It is good, yes. But if developer still wants to developm on his
own, I do not see a problem. The more alternatives - the more
choices. Best wins.

> how can the ECT work when no active DEVs are joining it and coordinating
> their extensions? As much as I understand the ECT it's not primary a

I do not have the answer to the question. Probably developers do not
see real benefits of joining? For would be benefits for a developer
like me, for example?

> actively developing team - but a team coordinating development, so that
> devs know "hey, there is already a extension in progress for the purpose
> I need, so I don't need to start from scratch and can join forces". But
> if nobody is talking to them about their planned extensions, the ECT
> can't support them. Of course the "leaders" are also devs, but their
> main task is coordination. So all devs should join the ECT newsgroup,
> write about their planned extension, probably find some other interested
> party and discuss the concept and aim of the extension with them to get
> a most usable result.

Well, it works well in theory. In practice we even cannot agree in
the core team about patches. One team member proposes a patch and
others start shouting that variable or class should be named
differently and as a result patch does not come into core at all.
Why would developer want that for his extensions? I'd easier to
develop individually than to agree with numerous people on small
irritating details.

If Kasper started to consult everyone about implementing features,
we would never had TYPO3.

Do not misunderstand me. I think ECT is a good idea but I think it
is hard to make it real when there so many developers, working so
independently, with so different background, style, experience and
geography...

> Yes, they are valuable devs and quite active in the T3 community - but
> why are they ignoring the ECT as an official team? It doesn't hurt
> dropping a note in the newsgroup and say "hey, I'm going to write a
> flexible commenting extension, anybody else in need of this or having
> some good ideas for necessary features I forgot?".

As I said: probably devs do not see any practical value in ECT. When
it comes to features, there is a bug tracker where people can put
their wishes.

> As I wrote above - I'm getting tired on fighting for better extensions
> and a much cleaner TER. I better drink a BEER3 and put my focus on v5 to
> get freely extendable packages by default ;)

I do not think v5 will be any different.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 translations support