[TYPO3-dev] new EXT:categorize to categorize everything

Martin Ficzel martin.ficzel at gmx.de
Sat Oct 18 15:17:28 CEST 2008

Georg Ringer schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> i am working on a new extension called categorize [1] which makes it
> possible to categorize every record (pages, content elements, tt_news
> records, fe-users,...) with the same categories.
>
> The main advantage is: Inside a plugin you can define: I want all
> records with the categories A+B and you will get all FE-User which got
> those 2 categories and all news records and so on. Of course this can be
> restricted to a spefic table too.
>
> Every marker you want to use is defined inside the TS, so nothing to do
> with PHP. E.g. the output of fe_users [2] or to render the whole content
> element (which has been categorized) [3].
>
> If you want to use the categories at your own extension all you would
> need to do is: Define a mm-relation to the category-table and set 2
> lines of TS.
>
> First screenshots are at forge too [4].
>
> I am happy to see your comments and thougts about it!

Hi Georg,

i really like the idea since categorisation is used very often. I have
some points to add:

1. I dont like translating the categories by a single language-overlay
field like in the screenshot. The general translation features of typo3
should be used instead.

2. Wich method do you use for displaying the category tree? I know
similar trees from tt_address, tt_news and dam. Each of them is using
its own code. I would prefer to add the treeview as a tca-feature to the
core. Maybe this is planned already.

3. Is it possible to use seperate categories for parts of the pagetree?
Maybe this is done by using the recordStoragePage.

4. Will it be possible to bind categories to some record types. Not all
records must share all categories.

I'm looking forward to see the final result.

regards Martin