[TYPO3-dev] Shared cache for translations

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Wed Oct 1 09:43:11 CEST 2008

Ingo Renner schrieb:
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
> Hi Masi, hi Stefano
>
>> If we can use a shared extension cache then we can also share the
>> translations.
>
> I disagree, as I doubt that this cache (and also the cache for
> extensions in EM) would speed up anything. The extensions still need to
> be looked up, same goes for labels. The only thing that is reduced is
> storage space needed to store that stuff.
> As storage is not expensive today I do not see a need here.
>
> What's more I absolutly do not want anybody else on the server to mess
> with my data (imagine a shared hosting environment). Nobody should be
> able to update my labels other than me.

Who does? I have never messed with lables within typo3conf/l10n and I
don't think you ever should. If you cannot do what you want excpet with
this hack we need a better way to do it.

> One more: Even the new caching framework is not made for this, each
> cache created with that framework is installation specific and should
> stay like that.

A) I didn't say that I want to use the caching mechanism for
translations. B) Just because you don't envisage a system wide cache
that doesn't mean someone else can.

Masi