[TYPO3-dev] DBAL - does it actually work

ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed Nov 12 14:48:37 CET 2008

On Nov 12, 2008, at 7:28 AM, Michael Miousse wrote:

> Xavier Perseguers wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>>>
>>> Apart from where the origin is, I don't believe that it's easy or
>>> even
>>> sensible to write an application for multiple database backends
>>> without
>>> losing performance and/or flexibility.
>>
>> I just hope that TYPO3 + some "basic" extensions will be able to
>> run on
>> Oracle as I sold this solution to a client who wants an Oracle DB
>> and I
>> was just happy to be able to sell TYPO3 and not the CMS I should have
>> proposed, namely Drupal which according to reviews would have fit the
>> bill as well but for the Oracle support.
>>
>> Thus, I would say that whenever TYPO3 is willing to act as an
>> enterprise
>> CMS, it should evolve in a way to be able to deal with let's say
>> MySQL,
>> Postgres, Oracle and perhaps MSSQL. It is simply a requirement for
>> ECMS.
>>

> The only thing i do not understand is why clients do not want to use
> mysql,

In my case we had a couple of reasons:

1) There was nobody in our team with MySQL experiance
2) Adding a other DB also means additional maintenance for that DB
3) MyISAM tables do have a bad reputation of loosing data easily
compared to other storage systems or DB's, we could switch to InnoDB
but 1 and 2 still apply.

In general our DB has a fairly high UPDATE/DELETE/SELECT ratio and
MySQL doesn't perform that well in that situation so we used a other
DB from start,
and because have that other DB it only makes sense to run TYPO3 in
that other DB and not bloat our server with a MySQL installation we
cannot manage well.