[TYPO3-dev] DBAL - does it actually work

Michael Miousse michael.miousse at infoglobe.ca
Wed Nov 12 13:28:02 CET 2008

Xavier Perseguers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> Michael wrote:
>>> Most extensions don't work cause people write strictly for mysql. So
>>> noone cares about coding guidelines. I did both: migrating and a new
>>> setup and both is a mess. Typo3's origin is with Mysql.
>>
>> Apart from where the origin is, I don't believe that it's easy or even
>> sensible to write an application for multiple database backends without
>> losing performance and/or flexibility.
>
> I just hope that TYPO3 + some "basic" extensions will be able to run on
> Oracle as I sold this solution to a client who wants an Oracle DB and I
> was just happy to be able to sell TYPO3 and not the CMS I should have
> proposed, namely Drupal which according to reviews would have fit the
> bill as well but for the Oracle support.
>
> Thus, I would say that whenever TYPO3 is willing to act as an enterprise
> CMS, it should evolve in a way to be able to deal with let's say MySQL,
> Postgres, Oracle and perhaps MSSQL. It is simply a requirement for ECMS.

The only thing i do not understand is why clients do not want to use mysql,
over all my clients, their was only one who did not turn to mysql and its
because he came to us because he was experimenting typo3 on oracle for his
site and he needed help.

i use dbal from time to time but not to put the whole typo3 site in an other
db. i use dbal to get information in table already existing which contain
information that the client need to let in the original db.

so from my experence, dbal works fine as long as you do not put your whole
typo3 in an other db
--
Michael Miousse
Infoglobe