[TYPO3-dev] DBAL - does it actually work

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Nov 11 22:58:50 CET 2008

Hi,

Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> Most extensions don't work cause people write strictly for mysql. So noone
>> cares about coding guidelines. I did both: migrating and a new setup and
>> both is a mess. Typo3's origin is with Mysql.
>
> Apart from where the origin is, I don't believe that it's easy or even
> sensible to write an application for multiple database backends without
> losing performance and/or flexibility.

I just hope that TYPO3 + some "basic" extensions will be able to run on
Oracle as I sold this solution to a client who wants an Oracle DB and I
was just happy to be able to sell TYPO3 and not the CMS I should have
proposed, namely Drupal which according to reviews would have fit the
bill as well but for the Oracle support.

Thus, I would say that whenever TYPO3 is willing to act as an enterprise
CMS, it should evolve in a way to be able to deal with let's say MySQL,
Postgres, Oracle and perhaps MSSQL. It is simply a requirement for ECMS.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en