[TYPO3-dev] DBAL - does it actually work

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Thu Nov 13 08:48:33 CET 2008

Hi,

>>> Thus, I would say that whenever TYPO3 is willing to act as an enterprise
>>> CMS, it should evolve in a way to be able to deal with let's say MySQL,
>>> Postgres, Oracle and perhaps MSSQL. It is simply a requirement for ECMS.
>>>

>> The only thing i do not understand is why clients do not want to use
>> mysql,
>
> In my case we had a couple of reasons:
>
> 1) There was nobody in our team with MySQL experience

This *is* the point I guess for most demands to use another already
installed and maintained DBMS.

> 2) Adding another DB also means additional maintenance for that DB
> 3) MyISAM tables do have a bad reputation of loosing data easily
> compared to other storage systems or DB's, we could switch to InnoDB but
> 1 and 2 still apply.

This could be optimized with TYPO3 4.3. I do not know if it requires
MySQL v.5 but if so, the underlying DB layer may be optimized when using
MySQL.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3.html