[TYPO3-dev] Use ereg(), not stristr():

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sat May 17 15:54:10 CEST 2008

Susanne Moog schrieb:
> hi,
>
> Steffen Kamper schrieb:
>> this is an option in Objectbrowser search.
>>
>> I think you confirm that no user will know what that means.
>> So can you make a proposal how this option could be labeled?
>
> always wondered what exactly the difference is. If I understood PHP
> manual correctly there are two main differences:
>
> - ereg is case sensitive, stristr not

Yes.

> - and with ereg it is possible to enter regular expressions

This is the main difference! But if we used internally preg_match we
cold make it case insensitive too.

Another option would be to allow for the more know "shell wildcards" ?
and *. Internally they would be turned into a regualar expression.

> Then I would propose something like "case sensitive" as label - of
> course we would neglect the possibility to use regular expressions then
> but who needs them in the object browser? <- Is there someone out there
> willing to explain the usefulness of them there?

Instead of a check box we could have a drop down "search type":
"string", "wildcard", "regular expression" (all case insensitive).

Masi