[TYPO3-dev] An idea to further process ' page not found ' 404handling

Matt K - [SwagmanInternet] typo3 at swagmaninternet.com
Fri May 2 00:07:02 CEST 2008

Christopher Torgalson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:09 AM, Matt K - [SwagmanInternet]
> <typo3 at swagmaninternet.com> wrote:
>> Hi Dmitry,
>>
>>  Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
>>  > Hi!

>>  I agree, it was a suggested workaround for anyone who expriences
>>  404 handling redirecting to their home page.
>>

>>  >
>>  > Don't misunderstand me: I am not against changes as such. But
>>  > "type=000" does not look like a right thing to me.
>

> Matt, I'm really surprised that you were the first to report this
> problem. But I can confirm that the problem exists as reported when no
> URL rewriting is used, and also with simulateStaticDocuments. In these
> cases, 404 pages and headers are not produced except in response to
> nonexistent .html files in the site root. Requests for nonexistent
> files of other types and files of any sort in subdirectories are
> redirected to the home page. Odd.
>
> With RealURL, 404 pages and headers work in all of the above cases,
> as expected.

Hi Christopher and all,

Just in case my findings were local to my servers yesterday I went
out onto the internet and tested around 25 random websites that
appear to be using SSD by requesting resources similar to,
www.domain.com.au/file.htm & www.domain.com.au/file.pdf
nearly all them returned http headers of '200 OK' and
showed their respective home pages. Some of those sites tested
are quite repected within the TYPO3 community.

I only did this research to test my theory, and in no way did I mean
to question the work of others. Thats why i prefer not to show all
my findings in this public forum.

I summise that one of the resaons why this has not been reported before
is because websites built using SSD are likely to have been set up
before 'improved 404 handling' came about and since then those
sites have not likely had a value set for
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS ['FE']['pageNotFound_handling']
therefore those sites return http headers of '200 OK'

In support of my comment above, tested this by removing the value
i had set for ['FE']['pageNotFound_handling'] and my website then
returned http headers of '200 OK' for requested file.htm & file.pdf

If anyone would like to review why I think TYPO3 websites show
the root page of their website (and subsequently are returning http
 headers of '200 OK') for file.htm & file.pdf requests then please
see below. The files referenced show the path & processing of
$this->id through index_ts.php and class.tslib_fe.php
Note: This is my understanding of the process.

So where to from here as I do not know the protocol for moving
forward from here. Do I need to perform further testing?
I am happy to forward my findings to a TYPO3 core member if
they wish, just to confirm my theories. My theories would include
my research on the tests performed on random websites, and as
I said, i do not wish to publish those results here out of respect
for those websites & their developers.

Kind regards,
Matt K
www.swagmaninternet.com

why the root page of website is shown for request  file.htm
www.swagmaninternet.com/downloads/URL_request__file.htm__.txt

why the root page of website is shown for request  file.pdf
www.swagmaninternet.com/downloads/URL_request__file.pdf__.txt