[TYPO3-dev] css_styled_content makes wrong markup

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Sat Mar 1 13:46:23 CET 2008

Hello Joey,

> I already got the point before but actually this is a problem of the
> layouter and not a problem of the tool.
> The image positioning options of the "Text w/image" element are layout
> options that give the layouter the possibility to order the elements in a
> certain way.
>
> If you think that the "beside left" option of the image position is not
> correct from your semantical point of view, you might:
>
> a) not use it at all
> b) use it together wih separate headlines
>
> CE1    HEADLINE
> CE1    TEXT
> CE2    HEADLINE
> CE3    IMAGEBLOCK TEXT
>
> IMHO it's up to the layouter/editor to care about semantics anyway.

Not really. The layouter is responsible, the editors only to a certain
extent. If I am the layouter it is my responsibility to make the life of
my editors as easy as possible. Of course I will have to explain to them
that headlines and their correct hierarchy are important. This is fine
and feasible. Everyone understands that.

But if I then go ahead and explain to them that for some arcane
technical reason the headline is in the wrong place with one setting
things become incrompehensible for people who are not into html and
questions of source order and float. Instructions would have to be:

1) Create a header only element that will be shown in FE
2) create your 'text with image' element, fill in the header again
though it will not be shown in the frontend, but we need it, because
otherwise we will be unable to identify our CE in list view.

They will complain and forget about it 5 minutes after I have told them
because it is agains every intuition.

Apart from that I now will have two content elements in my database
instead, because we have torn apart what belongs together out of *layout
reasons*.

> And there's another good reason to not change this behaviour by default: It
> would break the current layout of existing installations, since people would
> be forced to change the CSS for all their sites that are using one of these
> options.
>
> So if you really want to change it, it must be in the context of a new
> compatiblity version.

Agreed, I suppose it would cause a lot of hassel for existing sites.

> Just my 2 cents
>
> Joey

Putting another 2 cents on top of yours, Uschi