[TYPO3-dev] css_styled_content makes wrong markup

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Sat Mar 1 10:57:22 CET 2008

> The markup is valid, but the meaning is not. The order IMAGEBLOCK
> HEADLINE TEXT will break your outline in the following context:
>
> Let us have two CEs, an ordinary text element and then text with
> image. The image(s) do have captions, alt attribute and perhaps even
> long description. That will give us the following outline:
>
> 1. First headline
> 1.1 Text of first CE
> 1.2 Images of 2nd CE
> 2. Second headline (introducing the images and the text)
> 2.1 Text of second CE
>
> If the images only make sense in the context of the second headline,
> we have produced nonesense here. And if you surf by headlines (as
> screenreaders and also others might do) you miss the image(s)
> including their alt-attributes and long description.

I already got the point before but actually this is a problem of the
layouter and not a problem of the tool.
The image positioning options of the "Text w/image" element are layout
options that give the layouter the possibility to order the elements in a
certain way.

If you think that the "beside left" option of the image position is not
correct from your semantical point of view, you might:

a) not use it at all
b) use it together wih separate headlines

CE1    HEADLINE
CE1    TEXT
CE2    HEADLINE
CE3    IMAGEBLOCK TEXT

IMHO it's up to the layouter/editor to care about semantics anyway.

And there's another good reason to not change this behaviour by default: It
would break the current layout of existing installations, since people would
be forced to change the CSS for all their sites that are using one of these
options.

So if you really want to change it, it must be in the context of a new
compatiblity version.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian