[TYPO3-dev] css_styled_content makes wrong markup

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Sat Mar 1 07:55:01 CET 2008

Hi Joey,

JoH asenau wrote:

> All of these are valid markups and compliant to any rule of the W3C I know
> of and IMHO there is no semantical problem at all.
> Combining the 3 parts in one box doesn't necessarily mean that the image has
> to be put after the headline to get a semantically correct order.
> As long as the headline comes before the textblock it belongs to and as long
> as the image got an alternative text explaining its content everything seems
> pretty OK to me.
>
> Even if we look at them using a screenreader the order seems still OK, since
> it will be percieved in the same way no matter if you hear it or look at it:
> Left will be read IMAGEBLOCK HEADLINE TEXT
> Right will be read HEADLINE TEXT IMAGEBLOCK
>
> The perception of the left one would be: First we show you some images and
> after that we will explain them more detailed in the textblock which is
> started by a headline.
> The perception of the right one just changes the order: We will tell you
> something whithin a textblock started by a headline and after that we show
> you some images for a better understanding.
>
> So where is the problem?

The markup is valid, but the meaning is not. The order IMAGEBLOCK
HEADLINE TEXT will break your outline in the following context:

Let us have two CEs, an ordinary text element and then text with image.
The image(s) do have captions, alt attribute and perhaps even long
description. That will give us the following outline:

1. First headline
1.1 Text of first CE
1.2 Images of 2nd CE
2. Second headline (introducing the images and the text)
2.1 Text of second CE

If the images only make sense in the context of the second headline, we
have produced nonesense here. And if you surf by headlines (as
screenreaders and also others might do) you miss the image(s) including
their alt-attributes and long description.

Prosit, Uschi