[TYPO3-dev] Trying to make plugins compatible with Typo3 4.2

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sat Mar 1 10:03:24 CET 2008

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Is there anything to think about? Offhand I say that for or XCLASS
> mechanism all methods must be either publich or protected and never
> private.

I usually create protected. I do not see why methods should be really private.

Long time ago I programmed in C using Microsoft's MFC framework. They had a rule that almost all methods should be protected to allow easy subclassing. And that was excellent. Only some really low level methods were private. Mostly they were called from constructors or static methods that created instnces of the same class.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team