[TYPO3-dev] Extensions and JS-frameworks

Thorsten Kahler [dkd] thorsten.kahler at dkd.de
Thu Jul 17 15:43:32 CEST 2008

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
>> - use the version of the library as extension version
>
> I don't think that this is clever:
>
> * A library may have a different numbering scheme than the EM expects
> for TYPO3 extensions .

I thought about that, too. But unless there are any prominent/important
examples that don't fit to our scheme (or rather: can't be handled by
EM), this is theory. I don't expect this to be a real problem, because
quick search revealed a comparison table at Wikipedia [1]; maybe someone
wants to examine Ajaxian's list[2] as well.

> * The extension might implement some kind of wrapper. Changes to that
> glue code should be reflected in the extension own version.

Sorry, I don't exactly understand where your're pointing at.

> So I think it makes more sense to change the EM config so that an
> extension reports which 3rd party lib it includes and which version this
> is is.

Generally you're right: EM should distinguish between extensions and
external libraries. But that wouldn't ease the numbering problem either.

> Alternatively we may demand that 3rd party libs are shipped always in
> their own extension and *any* additional code has to be shipped in
> another extension. But this also means eg that there has to one
> Smarty/phpMyAdmin/AWstats extension without any TYPO3 glue. And another
> one with addons on UI. This way you can separate the version of the lib
> from the version of the intergratiion code.

Yes, that should be the result. And we'd need some kind of API (like
described for JS in my earlier post.

Regards
Thorsten

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_JavaScript_frameworks>