[TYPO3-dev] Improvements to standard Table Element

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 21:25:33 CET 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] <ernst at cron-it.de> wrote:

<snip>

> Good point. I think there are no constraints regarding that in the DTD
> (and I guess this is not even possible to constraint in DTDs...). In
> XHTML 1.1 module "table" DTD [1] the TD and TH are treated in an equal
> manner (<!ENTITY % tr.content  "( %th.qname; | %td.qname; )+" >).

Yep. This is because it's markup and not just presentation. The th
element is designed to be explicitly associated with one or more td
elements (a) via the headers attribute in the td elements, and the id
attribute in the th element [note that td elements can also be
associated with *more* than one th element in this way], or (b) via
the scope attribute of the th. For a *very* complete explanation, see
[1].

If the table wizard is due for an overhaul anyhow, I think it would be
worthwhile thinking about whether the first method (headers and id
attributes) could be successfully built into it.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/

[1] http://www.webmasterworld.com/accessibility_usability/3099660.htm