[TYPO3-dev] Custom Maintenance Pages

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Sun Jan 13 11:58:52 CET 2008

Hi guys,

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> Jeff Segars wrote:
>> One area I'm not as sure about is the "Page Is Being Generated"
>> message. I can see how a custom page might be nice here too, but its
>> definitely a page that needs to be refreshed automatically and making
>> it completely custom HTML opens up the possibility that it doesn't get
>> refresh.
>
> If I remember correctly this page is created before template is ready.
> If it is true and I am not mistaken, it means you cannot have
> localization or anu other TYPO3 feature for this page.

Right.

> Normally this page should never be seen. If it does, it means something
> went wrong: segfault in Apache, etc. This message is never shown under
> normal conditions.

Not quite. The page is also displayed under normal circumstances if two
people hit the page at nearly the same time.

It then goes like this:
- User 1 hits the page
   -> A flag indicating that the page is now being generated is stored to
      the cache
   -> Page generation is started
- User 2 hits the page
   -> It is checked whether the page is alreay in the cache, but only the
      page is being generated flag is returned
   -> Page is being generated message is output, with 30 sec refresh time
- In the mean time the page generation triggered by User 1 is ready and
   written to the cache -> Content is output to User 1
- After the 30 seconds User 2 tries to refresh and now gets the real
   page from the cache -> Content is output to him (User 2)

To avoid that whole Page is being generated message, I would opt for
just implementing a sleep(10), in order to wait for the other process to
complete caching and then try again. The website visitor then won't
notice anything except a slightly delayed request.

cheers
Ingmar

--
Ingmar Schlecht