[TYPO3-dev] Datetime bug in 4.2

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Fri Feb 22 09:37:06 CET 2008

"Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]" <dmitry at typo3.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1203666254.7402.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi!
>
> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>> this discussion is not new. There was always a problem with saving
>> date in different timezones. This is the conflict of server (servers
>> timezone) and the client js script (client timezone) It was Bernhard
>> who came up with a first solution, considering that all has to be
>> recalculated to UTC to have a simular base. Then it's possible to display
>> the time for any timezone correct. IIRC you have to fille the
>> sever timezone var correct (was never used before).
>
> I suppose editor should know what timezone he is in and enter time
> accordingly. There should not be any aqutomatic cleaver conversion because
> it limits editor very much in what he can do. He thinks he entered one
> thing but it automatically becomes another thing... Machine is too clever.

The idea was another. Dates should be displayed (BE) in the server timezone
(or the timezone you configure for it). To achieve that times has to be
stored in UTC and calculated by offset when display.
I think this whole handling is correct but just unfinished, eg there is no
display which timezone is relevant.

I cite myself with a simple example:
a page shall be visible on a certain day at 8:00 am, the page is in one
language and in zone UTC+1 and everyone expect this to be visible 8:00 am
UTC +1.
One editor working in UTC-1. What should he enter to have correct behaviour?

The real problem, and there i agree, is that the evalscript runs on client
so it doesn't respect the servers timezone.

vg  Steffen