[TYPO3-dev] Datetime bug in 4.2

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Feb 22 10:05:21 CET 2008

Hi!

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> The idea was another. Dates should be displayed (BE) in the server timezone
> (or the timezone you configure for it). To achieve that times has to be
> stored in UTC and calculated by offset when display.
> I think this whole handling is correct but just unfinished, eg there is no
> display which timezone is relevant.

Hey, and how many extension developers take that into account? I do not remember announcing such thing to the community. Most extensions just use time()!

> I cite myself with a simple example:
> a page shall be visible on a certain day at 8:00 am, the page is in one
> language and in zone UTC+1 and everyone expect this to be visible 8:00 am
> UTC +1.
> One editor working in UTC-1. What should he enter to have correct behaviour?

Time in server's timezone. He works on a server, so he must work with server's time. He must enter 8:00 because this is the time that server shows to users. If I live in UTC-10, I still just enter 8:00 because everyting is dated by server time. Just think about it: you boss from overseas says that article must appear at 8:00 his time. You know he runs that server. So you just put 8:00 his time and you do not bother anymore. There can be different use cases but this sounds the most typical to me.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team