[TYPO3-dev] Datetime bug in 4.2

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Feb 22 08:44:14 CET 2008

Hi!

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> this discussion is not new. There was always a problem with saving
> date in different timezones. This is the conflict of server (servers
> timezone) and the client js script (client timezone) It was Bernhard
> who came up with a first solution, considering that all has to be
> recalculated to UTC to have a simular base. Then it's possible to
> display the time for any timezone correct. IIRC you have to fille the
> sever timezone var correct (was never used before).

I suppose editor should know what timezone he is in and enter time accordingly. There should not be any aqutomatic cleaver conversion because it limits editor very much in what he can do. He thinks he entered one thing but it automatically becomes another thing... Machine is too clever.

> i never have problems with date, but i'm lucky to be in the same
> timezone as the server.
>
> So what is your situation, you are UTC+2 and which zone is your
> server?

I am in the same timezone with server! This is what bothers me.

Time setting works ok on localhost (UTC+2) but it does not work on SuSE 10.3. with the same Apache and PHP version (also UTC+2). I checked that date('O') return "+0200" both on localhost and server, so there is no difference here.  Problem must be with JavaScript. Looks like it behaves differently when run from localhost and from server.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team