[TYPO3-dev] What features from roadmap/wiki will make it in 4.2?

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Tue Feb 5 18:02:54 CET 2008

Hi Francois,
> Hi Franz,
>
>> Why are those important improvements treated like a stepmother? I mean
>> - a new backend rendering and this Ajax-toys are nice gadgets, but
>> that also could have waited one or two more releases. Those get
>> implemented, but broken or really really out-dated [1], quite
>> essential features don't get fixed or have least priority. I don't get
>> that, and I don't understand why the R&D-team or the association
>> doesn't care about that, create some guidelines or a straight forward
>> roadmap and co-finance their development to bring TYPO3 up2date with
>> state of the art features out of the box. If they do so, it at least
>> isn't communicated clearly like that.
>
> I understand your frustration and rest assured that I am also frustrated
> from time to time,

it overcame me and I somehow had to let it out.

> but you must remember that we are talking about an
> open source project here and that all contributors are volunteers. There
> are two problems with that:
>
> - a volunteer has a varying amount of time and sometimes cannot complete
> what he set out to do, at least within the expected time frame.
>
> - you cannot force a volunteer to work on something he doesn't want to.
> This means that if no one want to handle a particular subject it will
> stay by the road-side.

I know this, and that's exactly why I was writing my posting. That's why
someone has to take the lead and point to a direction where the
development should go - and support that - financially and with the
concept behind. In my eyes, this is exactly where the association and
the R6D-team take place. R6D has to give the direction, and the
association has to take care, that the main parts of the roadmaps get
sponsored, or find sponsors for that. That's at least what I would await
from the association (besides of PR).

> That may be the dark side of open source software, but you still have
> more hope of influencing the roadmap of an open source software than a
> commercial one's. If you are a developer, you can get your hands dirty
> and do actual stuff, with a real chance of it entering the core. If you
> don't have the needed skills, you can sponsor someone who has, either
> directly or via the association.

Unfortunately I have the wrong clients to sponsor something and I spend
my sparetime to improve some extensions (like currently cal).

--
regards,
Franz