[TYPO3-dev] What features from roadmap/wiki will make it in 4.2?

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Tue Feb 5 16:29:53 CET 2008

Hi Franz,

> Why are those important improvements treated like a stepmother? I mean -
> a new backend rendering and this Ajax-toys are nice gadgets, but that
> also could have waited one or two more releases. Those get implemented,
> but broken or really really out-dated [1], quite essential features
> don't get fixed or have least priority. I don't get that, and I don't
> understand why the R&D-team or the association doesn't care about that,
> create some guidelines or a straight forward roadmap and co-finance
> their development to bring TYPO3 up2date with state of the art features
> out of the box. If they do so, it at least isn't communicated clearly
> like that.

I understand your frustration and rest assured that I am also frustrated
from time to time, but you must remember that we are talking about an
open source project here and that all contributors are volunteers. There
are two problems with that:

- a volunteer has a varying amount of time and sometimes cannot complete
what he set out to do, at least within the expected time frame.

- you cannot force a volunteer to work on something he doesn't want to.
This means that if no one want to handle a particular subject it will
stay by the road-side.

That may be the dark side of open source software, but you still have
more hope of influencing the roadmap of an open source software than a
commercial one's. If you are a developer, you can get your hands dirty
and do actual stuff, with a real chance of it entering the core. If you
don't have the needed skills, you can sponsor someone who has, either
directly or via the association.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter