[TYPO3-dev] What features from roadmap/wiki will make it in 4.2?

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Tue Feb 5 16:51:12 CET 2008

Franz Koch wrote:

Hi Franz,

> Why are those important improvements treated like a stepmother?

Because noone found the time or got sponsoring and funding for it -
after all this is an open source project and most people work on it in
their spare time. Only a handful lucky ones can work on it during their
work in companies.

> I don't get that, and I don't
> understand why the R&D-team or the association doesn't care about that,
> create some guidelines or a straight forward roadmap and co-finance
> their development to bring TYPO3 up2date with state of the art features
> out of the box. If they do so, it at least isn't communicated clearly
> like that.

this is a complicated story we could talk about during T3DD08

> Ok, now that v5 is coming up, some changes might not be worth the
> effort, but as I see it, those improvements already could have been done
> one or two years ago.

well, until now the core team was just a handful of like 5-15 active
developers. but as you might notice something must have happened in
September:
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-team-core/

Since then development dramatically gained speed and I don't see an end
yet, rather an even faster development pace... this might end up in all
your dreams come true at some point (well code wise at least)

> [1] form rendering, table wizard, multimedia rendering, csc to name some

well, get your hands dirty and start digging the code and improving
it... everyone of us somehow got into core coding at some point. of
course it takes time to get an overview, but it is definitely worth the
fun you have as soon as you're there.

hope this is of any help
Ingo

--