[TYPO3-dev] What features from roadmap/wiki will make it in 4.2?

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Tue Feb 5 18:14:51 CET 2008

Hi Ingo,

>> Why are those important improvements treated like a stepmother?
>
> Because noone found the time or got sponsoring and funding for it -
> after all this is an open source project and most people work on it in
> their spare time. Only a handful lucky ones can work on it during their
> work in companies.

Well, and that's exactly why I don't understand why major tasks, that
will enrich everybody's work with T3, don't have a higher priority and
don't get better support by the association.

Please don't get me wrong - I really respect the work you all are doing,
and I try to help with my limited expertise. And that's why I also wrote
these lines, because I think there has to be something done to bring
TYPO3 a step forward.

>> I don't get that, and I don't understand why the R&D-team or the
>> association doesn't care about that, create some guidelines or a
>> straight forward roadmap and co-finance their development to bring
>> TYPO3 up2date with state of the art features out of the box. If they
>> do so, it at least isn't communicated clearly like that.
>
> this is a complicated story we could talk about during T3DD08

hope that I find the time to finally take part this year.

>> Ok, now that v5 is coming up, some changes might not be worth the
>> effort, but as I see it, those improvements already could have been
>> done one or two years ago.
>
> well, until now the core team was just a handful of like 5-15 active
> developers. but as you might notice something must have happened in
> September:
> http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-team-core/
>
> Since then development dramatically gained speed and I don't see an end
> yet, rather an even faster development pace... this might end up in all
> your dreams come true at some point (well code wise at least)

don't promise too much - you don't know my dreams about TYPO3 ;)

>> [1] form rendering, table wizard, multimedia rendering, csc to name some
>
> well, get your hands dirty and start digging the code and improving
> it... everyone of us somehow got into core coding at some point. of
> course it takes time to get an overview, but it is definitely worth the
> fun you have as soon as you're there.

I know - and I'm digging when I find some time. But mostly I'm digging
in the source of extensions (mainly ECT ones) to get some improvements
there.

--
regards,
Franz