[TYPO3-dev] Feature Request: Getting rid of TCA palettes

Franz Holzinger franz at ttproducts.de
Wed Dec 24 11:44:09 CET 2008

Simon Tuck a écrit :
> Franz Holzinger wrote:
>> I agree, that many users do not find the secondary options check box.
>> So this can be changed to show them by default.
>> But it should be removed. I consider it helpful (better overview), if
>> about 30% of unimportant options and input fields are not shown
>> always. I would even favor a radio button here (for more enhanced view
>> with more details).
>
> I would argue that in my experience unimportant options really are
> unimportant and don't need to be shown to the user. If you are referring
> to a prioritisation of fields (in terms of grouping and presentation)
> then I think the tabbed interface is a far more elegant approach.
No, a tabbed view complicates the thing. E.g. you have 5 note fields for
a table. 2 are important. The table has about 50 fields and 5 tabs. It
would be difficult to understand, that the other 3 notes can be found on
another tab. The user wants to edit the fields directly after the other
2 note fields.

>> You have a similar and more complicated thing already with the new
>> IRRE feature. Many records of another table are now shown in the TCE
>> of one
>
> I disagree. I think the combination of records from various tables is an
> improvement of usability because it corresponds to a user's perception
> of the data, i.e. it removes the breaking down of data into different
> table records. I can't see any similarity between palettes and IRRE...
Maybe to you the IRRE feature is easy to understand, but not for most
normal users.
Therefore a palette is needed to hide difficult options from normal users.

>> table. The user must learn to use and understand it.
>
> I agree that you can't just sit a user in front of the admin interface
> and expect everything to be self-explanatory. However, in terms of
> usability, my point of view is that the less you have to explain, the
> better the interface is.
All important things shall be visible on the first palette already. You
can limit your explanations to the first palette. This will be more easy
for them. They do not need to care about the more sophisticated fields.
Only the more enhanced users will see and modify the secondary options.
If a user has so little knowledge about TYPO3, that he does not see the
'secondary options', then he should better not use it at the moment. If
something important is missing, then these fields should be moved into
the first palette.
But I also agree to activate the secondary palette by default. Nothing
shall be hidden by default. I think that the checkbox 'secondary
options' shall be moved to the top of the TCE page and also have a symbol.

- Franz