[TYPO3-dev] Feature Request: Getting rid of TCA palettes

Simon Tuck stu at rtpartner.ch
Wed Dec 24 11:02:16 CET 2008

Franz Holzinger wrote:
> I agree, that many users do not find the secondary options check box.
> So this can be changed to show them by default.
> But it should be removed. I consider it helpful (better overview), if
> about 30% of unimportant options and input fields are not shown always.
> I would even favor a radio button here (for more enhanced view with more
> details).

I would argue that in my experience unimportant options really are
unimportant and don't need to be shown to the user. If you are referring
to a prioritisation of fields (in terms of grouping and presentation)
then I think the tabbed interface is a far more elegant approach.

> You have a similar and more complicated thing already with the new IRRE
> feature. Many records of another table are now shown in the TCE of one

I disagree. I think the combination of records from various tables is an
improvement of usability because it corresponds to a user's perception
of the data, i.e. it removes the breaking down of data into different
table records. I can't see any similarity between palettes and IRRE...

> table. The user must learn to use and understand it.

I agree that you can't just sit a user in front of the admin interface
and expect everything to be self-explanatory. However, in terms of
usability, my point of view is that the less you have to explain, the
better the interface is.

Best,
Simon