[TYPO3-dev] TV patches/updates

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Fri Dec 19 09:17:13 CET 2008

Hi Dmitry, Hi Niels,

> It is not the question of trust. The rules are the same for everyone, they are not established by me. But I will follow them in any case. I may take time later to look at your code if you do not wish to do it.
>
>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9529
>>
>> Just revert the changes on mod2/index.php if you want only the mapper,
>> and not the details. It's age-old BTW ...
>
> Ok, thanks.
>
>> I got wiser since then, the code got wiser since then, I started
>> full-localization and code-cleaning on the old code, moved functions,
>> grouped functional blocks, comment and comment code-blocks, that's how
>> it is. No way back.
>
> It does not seem wiser. You know the rules and you broke them. If you are wiser, you know the consequences. It means patches are not getting in. Changes in SVN must be clearly documented and fix one issue per commit. There will be no bulk changes in TemplaVoila SVN as there will be no such changes in the TYPO3 core. The rules are identical and they ensure stability and quality. I am sorry but you knew what you were doing. The whole situation is bad for the TV. TV could benefit from your changes if the were submitted to the bug tracker as I asked you from the very beginning: one issue per feature/fix. If you started bulk modifications, TV will not get your patches. I cannot risk. TV means too much for too many companies.

I understand Dmitry's point of view not willing to commit more than one
change at a time to SVN. This is best practice and indeed a must for
being able to revert in case of problem. But I understand Niels too as
his patch is said to not being split-able.

Now, reverse-engineering the whole patch to break it up into small
chunks is kind of a really big challenge. What I would like to suggest
would be to export the changes Niels made in his SVN repository while
developping the current big patch. Is it possible? Could you manage to
export revisions X (stand of TV when you started) to Y (X->Y being the
patch you issued)? This way, I think that creating small patch chunks
may be much easier as one will be able to understand the different steps
you made to create the final patch.

Just my thought, though!

--
Xavier Perseguers