[TYPO3-dev] [Fwd: Re: text/img and img elements with css-class?]

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Wed Dec 10 17:53:17 CET 2008

Hi,

>> Every designer and every person that has at least a little sense for
>> aesthetics would beat you for scaling images not proportional - and
>> that's not possible with CSS like "width:100%" as far as I know (not
>> all browsers scale proportional).
>>
> it's quite easy to keep the proportions with CSS:
> "width.100%; height:auto;"
> of course IE6 want's a hack:
> "height: 1%;" instead of "height:auto;"

good to know - thanks.

>> Besides of that - scaled images just look ugly in the browser - that's
>> also why it might not be that popular.
>>

> this depends of course on the quality of your original pic.

nope - that depends primarly on the scaling capabilities of the browser.
Most browsers just use "resample" which means to drop some pixels - but
those images don't get antialiased. FF3 is antialiasing now, but I'm not
sure about other browsers.

> but just today i reaad a new note in the bugtracker
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=8070 about someone being puzzled about
> the necessity of having scaling images.
> this statement shows me that the understanding of the typo3 community is
> far from comprehending the usability of elastic layouts.

that was me ;) I'm still not 100% sure if I think this concept is useful
or not. That's why I asked for some literature or something similar.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch