[TYPO3-dev] [Fwd: Re: text/img and img elements with css-class?]

grac grac at gmx.ch
Thu Dec 11 09:23:15 CET 2008

hi franz

>> it's quite easy to keep the proportions with CSS:
>> "width.100%; height:auto;"
>> of course IE6 want's a hack:
>> "height: 1%;" instead of "height:auto;"
>>

> good to know - thanks.

you are welcome - of course IE6 needs a lot of other bug fixes and
hacks. but who doesn't know that?!

>>> Besides of that - scaled images just look ugly in the browser - that's
>>> also why it might not be that popular.
>>>
>> this depends of course on the quality of your original pic.
>>

> nope - that depends primarly on the scaling capabilities of the browser.
> Most browsers just use "resample" which means to drop some pixels - but
> those images don't get antialiased. FF3 is antialiasing now, but I'm not
> sure about other browsers.

... and here comes another question/problem: why not take the message of
Web2.0 (browsers without up-to-date techniques are excluded from the
claim that a website has to look identical on all browsers) serious?

and on the other hand focus the attention on the different width of
viewports? 800x600 viewports become very unpopular, 1200x1000 seem to be
a norm, and not very seldom you see nowadays screens with 2000. it's a
similar process to tv screens: everybody wants to have wide screens.
so it's only natural to adapt to these changed demands and construct
elastic websites (including the images; all my original images have a
width of 1200px or 1600px, depending on the place where they have to be
in the layout).

>> but just today i reaad a new note in the bugtracker
>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=8070 about someone being puzzled about
>> the necessity of having scaling images.
>> this statement shows me that the understanding of the typo3 community is
>> far from comprehending the usability of elastic layouts.
>>
> that was me ;) I'm still not 100% sure if I think this concept is useful
> or not. That's why I asked for some literature or something similar.

oops, sorry, didn't realise that :-)
>> see also the YAML blog:
>> Flexible Layouts vs. Fixe Layouts -- 5:0 - High Resolution Weblog
>>
>> http://www.highresolution.info/weblog/entry/flexible_layouts_vs_fixe_layouts_50/

what do you think about this article?

and how about the following, famous article?

CSS Layouts: The Fixed. The Fluid. The Elastic. - Beast-Blog.com
http://green-beast.com/blog/?p=199

stephan