[TYPO3-dev] [Fwd: Re: text/img and img elements with css-class?]

grac grac at gmx.ch
Wed Dec 10 17:53:11 CET 2008

hi christopher

thanks for your interesting reply.

> To be honest, I suspect, rather than the TYPO3 community being somehow
> behind the times or 'purist' in this respect, that you over-estimate
> the general popularity of such layouts. Making a *layout* elastic is
> as trivial with TYPO3 as it is with any other CMS or in static HTML.

that's what i think too - it's not a matter of typo3, but of CSS and html.

> But you're only about the third person I've ever heard of who wanted
> to scale images along with a layout.

this is due to different approaches and demands of my clients.
one of them uses very complicated and detailled scientific drawings with
labelling and captions.
when i use thumbnails with a lightbox all the surrounding information is
temporarily gone (in the background).
having big pics which need to be as big as 100% of the main column i
just need to have an image class.

other pics don't have to be as wide as 100%.
but still there is the need of showing them complete in the respective
surrounding.

so therefore using fixed pic's width and height destroys my layout with
either small or wide viewports.

that's why i need images with variable classes.

> IMHO, it's a much better solution to provide a generally useful layout
> where text, and if necessary the overall layout are fluid/elastic (so
> that, i.e. the layout works in a reasonable variety of window and/or
> font sizes), and where the images are sized statically with larger
> versions available to the user (i.e. by click-enlarge). The way you
> talk about the kind of layout you need seems to me to overlook the
> facts that the range within which any layout needs to be elastic is
> comparatively narrow.

in my experience it's just the other way around: some people have at
home a very good, new and wide screen.
but in their office it's still a narrow screen.
and when they interact with the website it has to be either only at home
or at the office.
in other words: the same user uses different screens and wants to see
always the same website.

> In a way, your insistence that content images should be resizeable is
> not any different than the print designer's common complaint about web
> layouts--i.e. that because, the end user has some degree of control
> over the layout, their carefully designed layouts can be mangled. In
> other words, *your* position seems to contain a bit of the 'purist' or
> 'ideological'...
>
> :-)

might be, right :-)

of course the layout of an elastic website has to be special and
different from a static one.

but i just still wonder why the possibility of assigning variable
classes in the images table of RTE is not at all implemented like in
other CMS.

you say it's not a structural problem? or did i misunderstand you?

thanks for your interest

stephan