[TYPO3-dev] [Fwd: Re: text/img and img elements with css-class?]

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 16:54:49 CET 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:21 AM, grac <grac at gmx.ch> wrote:

<snip>

>>> to be more precise: i guess that this idea is just not at all in the focus of typo3
>>> idea. and i just wonder why:
>>>
>>>    * does typo3 need to have fixed images?
>>>    * is it just a purist ideology?
>>>    * is it in the development pipeline to give the editor this possibility?
>>>
>>> i'm grateful of any clear answer to my problem.

To be honest, I suspect, rather than the TYPO3 community being somehow
behind the times or 'purist' in this respect, that you over-estimate
the general popularity of such layouts. Making a *layout* elastic is
as trivial with TYPO3 as it is with any other CMS or in static HTML.
But you're only about the third person I've ever heard of who wanted
to scale images along with a layout.

IMHO, it's a much better solution to provide a generally useful layout
where text, and if necessary the overall layout are fluid/elastic (so
that, i.e. the layout works in a reasonable variety of window and/or
font sizes), and where the images are sized statically with larger
versions available to the user (i.e. by click-enlarge). The way you
talk about the kind of layout you need seems to me to overlook the
facts that the range within which any layout needs to be elastic is
comparatively narrow.

In a way, your insistence that content images should be resizeable is
not any different than the print designer's common complaint about web
layouts--i.e. that because, the end user has some degree of control
over the layout, their carefully designed layouts can be mangled. In
other words, *your* position seems to contain a bit of the 'purist' or
'ideological'...

:-)

--
Christopher Torgalson