[TYPO3-dev] [Fwd: Re: text/img and img elements with css-class?]

grac grac at gmx.ch
Wed Dec 10 14:21:18 CET 2008

thanks, frank, for your reply:

Franz Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> meanwhile i have realised that the idea of elastic images (in an elastic
>> layout) is not popular at all in the typo3 community.
>>

> I can only speak for myself - but I never stumbled over stretching
> images on websites.
in reality it's never stretching of course, but only shrinking what one
wants. sorry for my lacking precision.

> Every designer and every person that has at least a
> little sense for aesthetics would beat you for scaling images not
> proportional - and that's not possible with CSS like "width:100%" as far
> as I know (not all browsers scale proportional).

it's quite easy to keep the proportions with CSS:
"width.100%; height:auto;"
of course IE6 want's a hack:
"height: 1%;" instead of "height:auto;"

> Besides of that - scaled images just look ugly in the browser - that's
> also why it might not be that popular.

this depends of course on the quality of your original pic.

>> to be more precise: i guess that this idea is just not at all in the focus of typo3
>> idea. and i just wonder why:
>>
>>    * does typo3 need to have fixed images?
>>    * is it just a purist ideology?
>>    * is it in the development pipeline to give the editor this possibility?
>>
>> i'm grateful of any clear answer to my problem.
>>

> there is already a bugtracker entry with patch for that available at
> [1]. The patch will allow to define the dimensions in "em" instead of
> pixels (which will scale proportional with the font-size) - at least the
> RFC in the core list is promising that. So please try that patch if it
> fit's your needs. If it's working for you, you could give a "+1" for it
> in the core list in order to get that feature into typo3. If you're
> missing some feature, you can add your thoughts to the bugtracker or in
> core list where the patch is discussed - but don't go off topic in the
> core list.
>
> [1] http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=8070

thanks for the link.
i will try the recommended patch.

there is also a podcast which i already knew.
unfortunately the example there was presented with a table layout, not a
div layout.

YAML has a much more sophisticated and elaborated div framework for
flexible and elastic layouts (including normalised font-sizes to use em
instead of px and make use of % for img in div's).

and since i use the EXT /db_yamltv/ (YAML for typo3/templavoila) i'm so
desperate to find an easy way how to integrate images in all my elastic
layouts. and to make my editors happier.

but just today i reaad a new note in the
bugtracker http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=8070 about someone being
puzzled about the necessity of having scaling images.
this statement shows me that the understanding of the typo3 community is
far from comprehending the usability of elastic layouts.

see also the YAML blog:
Flexible Layouts vs. Fixe Layouts -- 5:0 - High Resolution Weblog

http://www.highresolution.info/weblog/entry/flexible_layouts_vs_fixe_layouts_50/

thanks for further discussion of this topic

stephan