[TYPO3-dev] [Fwd: Re: text/img and img elements with css-class?]

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Wed Dec 10 13:11:04 CET 2008

Hi,
> meanwhile i have realised that the idea of elastic images (in an elastic
> layout) is not popular at all in the typo3 community.

I can only speak for myself - but I never stumbled over stretching
images on websites. Every designer and every person that has at least a
little sense for aesthetics would beat you for scaling images not
proportional - and that's not possible with CSS like "width:100%" as far
as I know (not all browsers scale proportional).
Besides of that - scaled images just look ugly in the browser - that's
also why it might not be that popular.

> to be more precise: i guess that this idea is just not at all in the focus of typo3
> idea. and i just wonder why:
>
>    * does typo3 need to have fixed images?
>    * is it just a purist ideology?
>    * is it in the development pipeline to give the editor this possibility?
>
> i'm grateful of any clear answer to my problem.

there is already a bugtracker entry with patch for that available at
[1]. The patch will allow to define the dimensions in "em" instead of
pixels (which will scale proportional with the font-size) - at least the
RFC in the core list is promising that. So please try that patch if it
fit's your needs. If it's working for you, you could give a "+1" for it
in the core list in order to get that feature into typo3. If you're
missing some feature, you can add your thoughts to the bugtracker or in
core list where the patch is discussed - but don't go off topic in the
core list.

[1] http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=8070

--
kind regards,