[TYPO3-dev] How to auto-update Typo3 to latest stable via SVN ?

Stefan Geith typo3dev2008.nospam1 at geithware.de
Tue Dec 2 12:01:00 CET 2008

Xavier Perseguers schrieb:
>> I can't use
>>   https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core/branches/TYPO3_4-2
>> because this gets every patch on the _way_ _to_ the next stable.
>> And this shouldn't be done on productive servers ...
>>
>> Couldn't there be something like
>>   https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core/tags/TYPO3_4-2-latest
>> that always holds the latest released stable version ?
>
> What is the difference in your mind between /branches/TYPO3_4-2 and a
> "latest" tag? For me the head of a branch always holds the latest
> patches applied such that you get bug fixed. The head of a branch never
> includes new feature (which would slowly convert your 4.2 into a 4.3).

I don't know ;)

One visible thing is the version-name: my clients could be
afraid if the read '4.2.4-dev' ...

Maybe sometimes there could be a patch, that makes things worse ?
And will be reverted later on ... this could lead to broken
Typo3-Installation for my clients for some days ...

Do _you_ think branches/TYPO3_4-2 is save for misusing it as an
auto-update ?

What do other (core-) developpers think about this ?
(I'd like to know what Dmitry thinks about this ...)

-

Stefan