[TYPO3-dev] An idea to further process ' page not found ' 404 handling

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 11:25:36 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Matt K - [SwagmanInternet]
<typo3 at swagmaninternet.com> wrote:
> Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
>  > Matt - [SwagmanInternet] wrote:
>  >> I thought that would be the case for RealURL;
>  >> but it appears to work for simulate static documents and may work
>  >> for installs that have no RealURL or no simulate static documents
>  >> configured.
>  >
>  > You need not .htaccess for simulateStatic. Enable PATH_INFO in Apache.
>  >
>  > I suspect you are doing something wrong. I used simulateStatic
>  > several years in the past together with 404 handling. No problems.
>  >> What are yours or anyone elses thoughts on using the above
>  >> RewriteRule for persons using simulate static documents?
>  >
>  > I think you should not use those. Or, if you have to, you should
>  > propose a different section in .htaccess for simulateStatic, not
>  > modify existing.
>
>  Hi Dmitry,
>
>  I would like to suggest that the .htaccess suggested mods were a
>  short-term fix to 404 handling concerns with TYPO3.

>  what do you suggest when a TYPO3 user has no access to
>  change/modify 'PATH_INFO in Apache'.

That's only one option. The other (the one requiring .htaccess) works
on most shared hosts (though, in my experience, so does the PATH_INFO
option).

>  Please let us not foucs on the suggested short-term fix to .htaccess file
>  suggested by myself...
>
>  With respect, I would like to ask for thoughts mainly on my suggested
>  idea behind my Long term thughts on getting 404 handling as
>  commented in my original post, cheers.

I don't think suggesting modifications *prior to* identifying a bug is
productive.

>  By the way, I have tested my theories for requesting not available URL
>  resource requests on a set of random live TYPO3 websites with the same
>  error of redirecting to  requests to the available 'root' page of TYPO3
>  installs, with similar results, i.e. that is those sites redirect back to
>  the
>  home page, (root page), of the typo3 websites. I have not listed the
>  URLs of those tested sites to date because I wish to respect those
>  tested sitesand their install procedures, configs etc.

Again: /something/--environment, configuration, setup--is different in
your installs, since a) others can't reproduce the bug, and b) this
particular problem with 404 handling is not widely reported. Really
the only productive approach is to find out what that difference is
and (if necessary) submit a bug report with your results.

This thread does remind me though: I have experienced the symptom you
describe with errors in .htaccess files (sorry, I can't recall or
reproduce them at the moment).

To rule that prospect out, I'd use the advanced sample .htaccess file
that's included in TYPO3 source package (and if necessary, introduce
your custom rules one at a time, checking each one in the FE).

I don't know how the interaction between ssd, .htaccess etc works in a
404, but what happens if you identify the 404 page in the install tool
by its id (i.e. /index.php?id=36)? The reason I ask is because there
is no use at all for an alias on a 404 page in the first place--it's
never served up in response to a request for the 404 page itself, but
only when a different file is not found, and when this happens, the
url does not change (thus there should *never* be any circumstance in
which the alias of a 404 page is used).

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/