[TYPO3-dev] An idea to further process ' page not found ' 404 handling

Matt K - [SwagmanInternet] typo3 at swagmaninternet.com
Wed Apr 30 10:40:03 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> Matt - [SwagmanInternet] wrote:
>> I thought that would be the case for RealURL;
>> but it appears to work for simulate static documents and may work
>> for installs that have no RealURL or no simulate static documents
>> configured.
>
> You need not .htaccess for simulateStatic. Enable PATH_INFO in Apache.
>
> I suspect you are doing something wrong. I used simulateStatic
> several years in the past together with 404 handling. No problems.
>> What are yours or anyone elses thoughts on using the above
>> RewriteRule for persons using simulate static documents?
>
> I think you should not use those. Or, if you have to, you should
> propose a different section in .htaccess for simulateStatic, not
> modify existing.

Hi Dmitry,

I would like to suggest that the .htaccess suggested mods were a
short-term fix to 404 handling concerns with TYPO3.

what do you suggest when a TYPO3 user has no access to
change/modify 'PATH_INFO in Apache'.

Please let us not foucs on the suggested short-term fix to .htaccess file
suggested by myself...

With respect, I would like to ask for thoughts mainly on my suggested
idea behind my Long term thughts on getting 404 handling as
commented in my original post, cheers.

By the way, I have tested my theories for requesting not available URL
resource requests on a set of random live TYPO3 websites with the same
error of redirecting to  requests to the available 'root' page of TYPO3
installs, with similar results, i.e. that is those sites redirect back to
the
home page, (root page), of the typo3 websites. I have not listed the
URLs of those tested sites to date because I wish to respect those
tested sitesand their install procedures, configs etc.

regards,

MattK
SwagmanInternet.com